REFLECTOR: Autopilot - was Roll Trim

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Feb 12 13:31:33 CST 2005

I do however, use my auto pilot all the time. Originally had the Navaid wing
leveler and then changed out to the EZ Pilot as made by Trio in San Diego. I
only needed to buy the control head as the servo from the Navaid was the
same. I'm very happy with the EZ Pilot and recommend it.

I also installed a altitude hold. as made by TruTrak.  It is a single servo
connected to my trim spring. I'm also very happy with it. It is a small
servo and requires that the plane be perfectly trimmed prior to engaging.
But, once it is set up it works perfectly for up to an hour until conditions
change enough to warrant a retrim.

Chris;

I had just ordered the TruTrak Pictorial Pilot the day before your post, and
after looking at the Trio EZ pilot, had some regrets.  The Trio unit seems a
better value.  I let it go since GRT recommends the TruTrak to couple with
their EFIS (that I have), and I didn't have time to consult with them on the
use of the EZ pilot.

I intend to add the altitude hold later, and I found it interesting that you
connected to the trim spring rather than directly to the elevator TT.  What
are the pros/cons of that?

Al