REFLECTOR: The definitive answer on octane and av-gas

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 15:28:07 CST 2005

I suspect that the dual ignition allowed for a retarded spark timing to allow
for the lower octane fuel.  It will work up to a point, however the engine will
produce less power.

In a car you can usually hear the knock when you are getting detonation however
in an aircraft it is usually too noisy to hear.  You might be able to adapt a
knock detector from an auto engine to detect it.

Jim