REFLECTOR: Performance Question

Dave Black dvblack at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 23:13:08 CST 2005

Dave,

> I have a std wing RG / 200hp, and I flew a performance 3 blade for the first
> approx. 400 hours.  My experience was that a 3000 foot strip was about the
> minimum I'd tackle, and it has as much to do with landing as it does
> takeoff.  There is nothing as disconcerting as seeing the end of the runway
> approaching, whether your trying to slow down or trying to speed up.  On
> takeoff, at middling density altitudes (summertime in the midwest), I was
> always off the ground in less than 2000 feet.

That sounds like reasonable -- if not stellar performance.

> I now have a 3 blade MT, with about 350 hours on it.  It cut my takeoff roll
> about in half.

I used to fly a Bonanza and a Cardinal RG. I LOVE constant speed props! They
can really give you a kick in the seat on takeoff. And I found it easier to
control my glide path upon landing. But I will be starting out with the
Performance Prop, since I already have that. After I get 100 hours or so on
the plane, I'm amenable to switching props.

> consider that MT did a thorough
> enough testing job to find out that they did in fact have a resonance
> problem with certain prop / engine combinations.

Yes, that's very professional of them to report the problem rather than cover
it up. MT makes a beautiful prop, and I'll be looking closely at it after I
get some time on my bird. My Lycoming is counterweighted, so RPM restrictions
should not be an issue.

Dave