REFLECTOR: Performance Question

Dave Nelson davenali at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 20:18:33 CST 2005

I have a std wing RG / 200hp, and I flew a performance 3 blade for the first
approx. 400 hours.  My experience was that a 3000 foot strip was about the
minimum I'd tackle, and it has as much to do with landing as it does
takeoff.  There is nothing as disconcerting as seeing the end of the runway
approaching, whether your trying to slow down or trying to speed up.  On
takeoff, at middling density altitudes (summertime in the midwest), I was
always off the ground in less than 2000 feet.

I now have a 3 blade MT, with about 350 hours on it.  It cut my takeoff roll
about in half.  Despite what others have said in this forum regarding MT,
I'd say this: the prop didn't cost me any speed, was not substantially
different in weight (considering that it replaced the 3 blade performance +
prop extension + crush plate + prop bolts, etc)., and while I did have a
service problem (electric motor failed), the company exceeded my
expectations in getting me back in the air.  The single defficency with my
MT has been the RPM restrictions, as I have a non-counterweighted engine.
I've gotten used to that, and while I'd much prefer they'd find a solution,
I'm not willing to give up the excellent performance I get from a constant
speed prop.  And I'd close with this - consider that MT did a thorough
enough testing job to find out that they did in fact have a resonance
problem with certain prop / engine combinations.  That's a much better
situation than, say, Performance props who have had significant cracking
issues (located at about 1/3 of the span - keep an eye out for this!), as
reported widely in the Central States canard community - and yet who refuse
to admit that there may be an issue.  JMOH.

Dave