REFLECTOR: High temps

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 6 23:18:15 CST 2005

I can't speak to your "octane additives".  Perhaps Jim Agnew or Don
Royer could speak to that.  I would suspect that it might depend on what
you coated the inside of your tanks with.

I do know that alcohol is REALLY bad for composite tanks.  Actually,
alcohol won't hurt them and water won't hurt them, but alcohol and water
mixed is very damaging and of course if you have alcohol, it's bound to
end up with some water in it.  That's the bad news.  The good news is
that it's really easy to test for alcohol.  For the most part, you can
plan on finding alcohol in the gas stations in [agricultural] states
that mandate it and in and around metropolitan areas that are not
meeting EPA air quality standards.  Here in central TN there isn't any.
LA would be another matter.  MTBE and ETBE do not damage composites.

I have heard of people taking a coupon of a glass sandwich structure,
prepped and painted various ways, stored in a jar of Mogas for a
substantial period with no discernible damage.  The ones I have heard of
are anecdotal tests.  Haven't heard of anything notably scientific.  Has
anyone heard of anything systematic research around this issue??  I
would hope that the factory would look into the issue seriously.

Everyone needs to be looking at Unleaded Avgas since it will certainly
replace 100LL, and probably sooner rather than later.  For the most
part, it promises to be a boon to engine life and reliability but there
are bound to be areas where conversion might be problematic.  Composite
tanks are potentially one of those areas.

I am personally confident that it will be a manageable problem ... Jim S.