REFLECTOR: Performance Question

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Feb 6 10:34:11 CST 2005

Dave,

I started flying a shortwing RG / 200 HP / Performance Prop.   I've lost
the  numbers for the PP and I just looked at the prop(hanging from my
ceiling) and they are not on it.  I have a Catto now.

That Performance prop beat Catto's prop in take off distance and cruise
speed.  I hated giving it up, but thats a different story.  My best
guess is I lost 5 knots off the top end and use about 15% more runway
with the Catto. Craig said we could close that gap with some prop tuning
but I haven't tried it.

As Ronnie said you should do your initial flight testing from the
longest runway that is available. Can't be too long.

I fly into 4000 ft runways with no problem as long as I'm near sea level
and not gross.  You should have no problem.

My problem is that I do a lot of cross country flying and rarely leave
with less than 45-50 gallons on board.  My standard fuel level for
departure is as full as I can get the tanks cause I'm not panning on
stopping for 600-800 nautical miles.  This puts me in the position that
with two people, lots of  lugauge and my assorted bags of tools and
flying gear I'm within a 100 lbs of gross.  4000 ft near sea level on a
warm to hot day near gross weight will raise the hairs on the back of
your neck as you see the end of the runway fast approaching  as you are
raising the canard at Vr.

Scott