REFLECTOR: Engine weight list

Velocity xl velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 6 09:56:03 CST 2005

 I would like to question the statement that a auto conversion costs more or the same as a USED or Rebuilt
certified engine.   My install of a Chevy V8 is no where near the cost of a used or rebuilt certified engine. Many of the
experimenters out there build these auto engines up a lot . This adds a lot of cost and time to the engine install. I believe
if you stay the coarse and install a true Auto engine and not a Race car engine you save a lot of time and money! Nothing
against building the engine up for more power when needed. For the people out there that are considering the
conversion road  remember that If you built a Certified engine and upgraded it to the same level as some of the engines out
there, that the cost is no where close to the same. When comparing engines to with there costs remember HP equals $$$
certified or auto just Certified costs a lot more $$$ to add that HP to it.

If you choose the auto conversion I would have to say there is more time needed to complete the project ,but again
how many changes you make from the true auto conversion to race engine all add time. You might ask your self
why am I building a airplane and not just buying one. Buying a certified plane is the fastest way to get in the air.
I don't think any one will argue that. Then again I have heard people argue about just about everything to this forum.

Thanks for listening.

PS  Keep in mind also that this  forum is not non certified friendly. I have been watching this forum for over  6 years
and think I have seen only a hand full of friendly comments on auto conversions. You builders know how you are and keep it up.
The rest I would say Don't spread miss information.

Ron XL FG V8