REFLECTOR: Engines and High DA

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 10:15:07 CST 2005

Scott,

 The reasons you mention is why I am not using an MT. Not only do I have a constant speed, but it weighs 30 pounds, has a good record (if you don't bolt it to a 4 cylinder thumping lyc.) and is inexpensive to repair.

On HP,  You lose more than 20% in GNT. The basic rule of thumb is 3% per 1000' iof DA. so on a hot day in GNT, you have lost about 30%

If you use similar aircraft setups (IE similar starting and ending HP, similar power loading, similar airfoils, and similar starting and ending weights) you should get pretty close in numbers. The 25% improvement in TO roll you look for is just about perfect or even according to the research that I have done. That should help you out a bunch!

I'd like to see the results!

Kurt Winker