REFLECTOR: The definitive answer on octane and av-gas

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Feb 6 08:32:51 CST 2005

I STAND CORRECTED.
The "long strands" I alluded to was more of analogy than detailed
science and I should have been more explicit around that.  Am I correct
in drawing from your response that the more complex chains do burn
slower, and that slower burning equates to higher Octane?

I'm looking forward to hearing more details about the relationship
between the numbers we see on Autogas pumps and Avgas ratings.  This is
IMO important in making a decision

Donald Royer wrote:

> I don't want to get between the two Jims here, and I claim no
> expertise in the details of the determination of octane ratings.
> However, as a chemist, I can comment on a few things that Jim Sower
> has said. Some of what he has said makes no chemical sense at all.
>
> As a Franklin driver, I personally have no intention of ever using
> mogas in a Franklin considering the unfortunate incident at Little
> Rock a few years ago.

I believe I was pretty explicit around Mogas in high compression engines
like Franklin.

That said, Embry Riddle, who are operating what is arguably the largest
fleet of recip aircraft in the world, and are in all respects clearly in
a position to know, have used Mogas exclusively for years and report
savings as much as $10/hr in Cessna 150s to $35/hr on their 250-300 hp
engines.  These include large savings in maintenance and engine life.