REFLECTOR: Performance Question

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 6 08:13:12 CST 2005

Dave,

I am flying off of Lake Norman Airpark (14A) which is 3000' and 840' MSL
with trees on both ends.  I have a 173 RG, 200 hp with a Craig Catto 66x70"
prop.  3000' is fine if not heavily loaded and hot.  I can take off
comfortably with 2 on board with luggage (or 500-600 lbs of people) and 20
gallons of fuel on a cool morning or cool day.  If its 90 degrees outside,
then the limit is 300 lbs and 20 gallons.  I wouldn't be comfortable with
less than 3000'

I would highly recommend doing your test flights from at least 5000' runways
and then work on your short field techniques and determine what you are
comfortable with.

My friend Jim White had the same plane you have.  It used perhaps 500' more
runway than mine, but he had more pitch in his prop (66x75?).

By the way, re the high DA discussions and fixed pitch props:  I first
started flying with a 66x72" prop.  My maximum cruise was 165 knots at 2550
rpm but take off was anemic with a static RPM of only 2160 rpms.  I had
Craig repitch the prop to 66x70", take off was much improved with 2400 rpm
static, and max cruise is the same - 165 knots but at 2700 rpm (it could go
higher, I pull back on the throttle as it reaches 2700 rpm).

Sounds like you are getting really close to flying soon!!!

Ronnie