REFLECTOR: High temps

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sat Feb 5 15:23:29 CST 2005

I have a Franklin, not a Lycoming and no temp problems.  Has anyone with a Lycoming
tried a lower octane fuel?  My experience with Rotax engines is that using a higher
octane fuel than what the engine requires results in high CHTs (50 F higher, enough to
sieze the engine).  I think 100 LL is higher octane than any normally aspirated engine
should need.  Several Cessnas in my flying club use 50/50 avgas/regular.  In a pinch,
I have topped off my tanks with regular and couldn't see any difference in performance
or other problems.

John