REFLECTOR: Engine weight list

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 09:02:38 CST 2005

Brian,

  Thanks for passing along the engine list. I know I have seen that somewhere
also.
Just a few points. I do remember reading that the weights listed for some
engines ( such as the IO-360) are not quite accurate. Well, they do weigh that
much, but will not run at that weight because the external accessories aren't on
the engine when they come up with that weight.  Add on the mags, starter,
alternator and things add up. I have found it difficult to get an exact running
weight on aircraft engines.

Also, While the Chevy V-6 listed from NW Aero lists at 420 Lbs, that is with
all accessories and the redrive!  I had John from NW help me out and I have
his redrive. Since I went with the Aluminum block, I save 85 pounds off th the
420 (yes,l at a significant cost). That puts my 340HP V-6 at 335 pounds (and an
engine CG farther forward than the IO-360) ready to run.

There is a lot of good discussion on engines this week. Unfortunately a fair
amount of it is based on rumor and hearsay. Yes, it is different, more
experimental, and very situationally dependant. Until you actually build it and fly
it, it is ALL research!

Many here know my situation (high Density Altitude), and that is the biggest
reason for my engine choice. The rest is ( hopefully) a bonus. I wanted to fly
a Velocity and be able to fly it out of New Mexico airports in the summer. DA
commonly reaches 9000'. The stock 173 just doesn't have the umph to do that
safely from a 4800' runway. So, we do what we have to do :)

Some things in my personal experience add credibility to what others have
said:  It WILL take much longer to build using an "alternate" power supply. It
will probably be the same cost (or more) as the stock AC engine in the velocity.
It is challenging and rewarding and sometimes frustrating.

If I followed directions ( and rumor convention) I would have been flying my
Velocity 2 years ago. The only problem is, I couldn't fly it out of here about
1/3 of the year.

kurt Winker