REFLECTOR: A question about engines

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Fri Feb 4 21:30:40 CST 2005

Randy,

It looks like you're getting some good information and opinion on this thread.  I'll just tell you where I ended up after going through several years of consideration on this question.  I decided I wanted an airplane to fly, not a "hangar queen", so I wanted to go with a proven/supported installation.

I looked at auto engines (and shared a hangar with John Kiss while he finished up his Std/RG with a Chevy V6), but decided that was going to be too much tinkering for the amount of flying (for me).  I have always believed that the Wankel rotary engine had a tremendous amount of potential as an aircraft engine, but the installation issues are still substantial (Go Al!).

I have also watched Deltahawk through years of development, and I think that engine also has a lot of potential.  I'm very impressed by the committment the Deltahawk team has shown in getting it close to being a commercial product.  However, it's not quite an available, proven installation.  Also, I'm building an XL, and it's too small for that fuselage.

I, too, looked longingly at the IO-550, but the budget wouldn't stand the impact.  There have been quite a few nagging "teething" issues with the Fadec version of that engine, so that limits my enthusiasm for the IOF-550.

I ended up having Lycon Aircraft engines (Visalia, CA) build me an IO-540 (narrow-deck, parallel valve, 260 HP).  Oddly, the -C4B5 and the -D4A5 are basically the same engine, with the same counterweights, just a different arrangement of accessories.  The -C series is rated 250 HP at 2575 rpm while the -D series is rated 260 HP at 2700 rpm.  I had them keep everything standard, except that I had them port and polish the heads and I went with the (expensive!) LASAR electronically-controlled magnetos.  My engine made over 290 HP at 2700 rpm on the test stand.  I will get the engine installed this year, and I think it will be fine.  The only thing I might do different is the six-cylinder version of the E-mag/P-mag that's supposed to become available soon; that looks to be a much better value than the LASAR mags.

I'm planning to follow in Dave Dent's footsteps with a Catto fixed-pitch prop - but that's another discussion!

Keith Hallsten, XLFG
Lincoln, CA