REFLECTOR: A question about engines

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 4 08:44:17 CST 2005

<... I’m not committed to any particular one at this point ...>
Keep that thought. The alternative powerplant sector is evolving
incredibly fast ... Auto conversions with FWF packages available now and
more coming on line it seems like every month. Diesels. The whole lot.
For my part, I look at my cutting edge airplane and have to wonder why
it should be powered by an engine that every was of technology on it was
in place, stable and mature the day I was born (1938).

<... Is there a single source for information on the tradeoffs between
Continentals, Lycomings, Chevy’s, Subarus, Mazda’s, etc? ...>
No.

Deciding on an engine at this juncture has all of the intellectual
allure of buying todays cutting edge GPS system and sitting it on the
shelf for 3 or 4 years before you install it. You have years before you
have to make a decision on an engine. Wait until you need it, perhaps
monitoring progress in the industry, and then make an /informed/
decision. The facts of the matter today will abaolutely NOT be still
true and relevant four years from now.

Just do what's right in front of you for a while ... Jim S.