REFLECTOR: Main LG vibration on braking ...

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 18:21:00 CST 2005

Jim,

I battled main gear vibration while braking in the
45-25 speed range on my XLRG for a while. I worked w/
George at Matco trying all sorts things. These all had
little or no affect:

-Adjusting toe in/out
-different pad material
-Different calipers (upgraded to XT)
-Different discs (different material)
-Line restrictors/dampeners
-Different tire pressures
-Balancing the wheels/tires
-Shimmed away any disc run-out

I finally did what Scott Swing said to do early on,
which was have the surfaces of the discs ground flat.
I found a grinding shop (versus machine shop) that
charged me $20 to grind both discs. My discs were only
about .005 out and slightly bowl shaped (again, about
.005 worth). This solved the problem. I didn't do this
initially because I had sent my brakes to Matco for
inspection and specifically asked them to verify that
the discs were true - they said they were fine...

Pat