REFLECTOR: FS2004 Simulator & Velocity Model

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Tue Feb 1 18:32:18 CST 2005

          Joel,
  The short answer is:   Brian put a zipped version of the  FS2004 Velocity
model I've been using into the TVBF archives -- use this link to access and
download it:
       http://www.tvbf.org/docs/velov2.zip

  I don't think we're violating any 'freeware' restrictions by putting the
model  into our archives -- I don't remember exactly which site I found it
on originally.

  The long answer (I think I may become known for Reflector posts that are
TOO LONG at this rate!) is included below --  I  cut and pasted it from a
response to another Reflector friend who sent a personal Email asking about
Velocity models for FS2004:

  "... I use FS2004 a lot.  Maybe it's not 100% like flying, but it's
amazing how realistic and useful it can be, as you probably know.  I've been
flying it more in the last six months as we finally get closer to flying our
Velocity after nearly seven years of continuous work.  I used to think of it
as a fun toy and a way to play around in simulations of some of the old
military jets I used to fly.  But it's so much more valuable than that,
especially if you buy a good force feedback joystick to use with it.

  First for instrument flying it's just amazingly useful, nearly as good as
the real thing.  As you probably know, you can 'dial in' what ever weather
conditions you want.  So if you want to fly down to 100 foot ceilings in
blowing snow at night with thunderstorms, just dial it in and you can see
the swirling snow and lightning flashes and feel the turbulence (in the
stick and it's affect on the flight path) as you're about ready to break
out.  If you set up a thunderstorm and it's daytime, you'll see (and hear!)
the individual drops hitting the windscreen as you sit on the end of the
runway waiting to take off!

  Then for the use I mentioned on the Reflector about using FS2004 to
experiment with, to see how it flies and maybe to help you develop
precautionary approach procedures before you find yourself in the real
situation.  I've used it, as I said, to determine the best glide speeds and
to measure the Velocity's glide ratio and to become comfortable flying the
'high precautionary approach' that I developed on FS2004.

  Finally, if you happen to have two computers in the house on a high speed
network and are running FS2004 on both, you can do some incredible two
(maybe more with more computers?) plane formation flying.  I'm just
beginning to experiment with this feature now, but my son and I have been
able to taxi two F18s up onto the same runway, see each other's planes, even
see the other guy move the aileron and elevator flight surfaces, then chase
each other off into the wild blue yonder!  I believe you can also do this
house-to-house using high speed internet connections, but I haven't tried
that yet.  This is hard to beat, at least for an old enthusiast like myself!
Sorry if I sound a little too enthusiastic about FS2004, but I have done
some real world flying and some flying in what used to be the high end
simulators not too many years ago, and now for something that costs around
$30 -- I'm just impressed!

  To your question about flight simulator resources -- there are lots, I've
probably only scratched the surface.  There's also lots of cool stuff you
can do in this community if you've got a little time -- like build "models"
(or construct paint schemes for models someone else has already created) for
airplanes you'd like to include in FS2004.  The only thing I've done is
occasionally go out to try to find a model someone else has created.  Here's
some links to some places that have been very useful to me:

      http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds/main/menuchoo.htm

      http://flyawaysimulation.com/

      http://www.simviation.com/

      http://secure.simmarket.com/

      http://www.flightgear.org/

      http://www.afs-design.de/e/index.htm

      http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2Fextsearch.php

  Many of these require you to sign up as a member, but it's usually free
and most of the downloads are free.  There are also some very well done
'pay' models that you can download from little companies.  The Velocity
unfortunately doesn't have the best models available yet for FS2004 -- at
least that I've been able to find.

  I'm attaching (hope you don't mind and that I don't clog up your mailbox!)
one Velocity model that I found.  It seems to fly and look the most
realistic, but it's not perfect.  For example, if while sitting on the end
of the runway before takeoff, you press "S" in FS2004 and 'slew' the
viewpoint around to what would be a wingman's position, you'll notice that
there are no landing gear visible -- it looks like the plane is just
hovering three feet above the runway.  The cockpit switch makes the gear go
up and down and that increases/decreases drag, etc., but the gear are not
visible in the onscreen rendering!  This shortcoming does not seem to affect
the way it flys.

  The exact procedure and instructions for adding new models into FS2004 are
a little fuzzy for me because there seem to be several different ways to do
it.  The best models usually have ReadMe files included somewhere that tell
you how to do it.  I don't think this one have a good ReadMe.  I think to
install this Velocity model, first save the attached folder somewhere on
your hard drive.  Then double click on zip-compressed folder icon -- it
should open up into a temporary uncompressed folder window.  Now on your C:
drive, find C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft and
create a new folder within the Aircraft folder named:  Velocity.  Then copy
everything that's in your uncompressed "Velov2" folder into the new Velocity
folder you just created in Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft folder.

  Now, when you run FS2004, on the main menu press the 'Select
Aircraft/Change' button.  In the sub menu panel under 'Aircraft
Manufacturer' select 'Any', then under 'Aircraft Model' select "Unspecified
Velocity'.  You should now have the Velocity model ready to fly.

  Good luck.  Hopefully my instructions are complete.  I think you'll enjoy
flying the Velocity in FS2004!  Let me know if you have trouble (or better
yet if you're able to create a better 'High Precautionary Approach'!"

  Bob Jackson