REFLECTOR: Arm Pit Scoops

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Dec 22 23:11:28 CST 2005

There are a couple of things to consider.  You can increase opening in that
direction, but it is not very effective because you are going into the
boundary layer where the air is moving more slowly.  The other factor is
that the cross sectional area of the scoop after the inlet lip must be
expanding at least slightly to get more flow, otherwise you will likely just
spill air and cause more drag.  You might also gain a bit of flow by
rounding and smoothing the inlet edge.  As I recall, the original factory
armpit scoops had a slightly contracting area, and sharp inlet edge; both of
which reduce effectiveness.

Al

Subject: REFLECTOR: Arm Pit Scoops

I want to increase the size of my scoops.  I have about a 1" clearance

between the top

of the scoops and  the wing.  Is there any reason why I can't reduce the

clearance to

1/4" by adding 3/4" on the top of the scoops?

John