REFLECTOR: Engine Monitors

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 20 16:15:13 CST 2005

I am a great fan of the GRT systems.  I have flown with my 4000 for nearly 3 years, 210 hours.  It may not be fancy, but it doesn't take up much room either.  And it is packed with features.  I consider it my highly educated idiot light.  I don't have to scan the engine parameters - the GRT does all of the work.  Alarms can be set on just about any parameter, then if there is a problem, you get the big red light alerting you to look at the display.  Then what ever is in alarm will be flashing.   The digital read outs are very visible in ANY light, even with direct bright sun light.

Vision Micro, MVP-50 and other full time displays look sexy, but they take up way too much real estate - and they are rather pricey.

I vote for the GRT 4000/6000.  I feel it is one of the best values in the engine monitoring system business - AND they are highly reliable.  I have only heard of one failure - and it was actually a wiring error by the installer.  The instrument was fine.

Ronnie