REFLECTOR: Re: Glide Ratio

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Dec 18 07:37:13 CST 2005

You reference your 'luck' at getting it back to the runway.  It's been
my observation that luck is directly proportional to skill and
experience, which you apparently had a good deal of both, so well-done.
Did you determine the reason for the quiet engine?

Maybe somebody flying today can use the dump valve on the gear and keep
a good clock on it and share the results.  There may be variations, but
I'd guess most plane's gear will have a similar value.

And, while thinking about the whole dead engine, manual gear down
scenario, next time we go to our planes, lets double-check that the nose
gear stick is where it's supposed to be.  Otherwise, when you need it,
it may not be there...don't ask how this is known!

Chuck Jensen

On
> Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
> Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:22 AM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Cc: p51 at hotmail.com
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: Glide Ratio
>
> Having survived a no engine emergency landing, I do remember that the
> plane
> glides very well with the gear up, but sinks like a rock when you open
> those
> gear doors (probably 6:1). The other thing that is surprising is how
long
> it
> takes to lower the main gear (the nose comes down and locks quickly).
If