REFLECTOR: Re: Glide Ratio

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 03:21:50 CST 2005

Having survived a no engine emergency landing, I do remember that the plane
glides very well with the gear up, but sinks like a rock when you open those
gear doors (probably 6:1). The other thing that is surprising is how long it
takes to lower the main gear (the nose comes down and locks quickly). If you
really want to practice this, time how long it takes to get the mains to
lock, then go out and try to estimate when you need to start them down. It's
way more time than you think. Probably better to put them down at a higher
altitude and circle to land to get the feel of the sink rate before you have
to land.

The engine quit when I turned crosswind shortly after takeoff, and I just
made it back to the field, but too little time to lock the mains, so I
skidded in on the backside of the plane. Fortunately, no fire and damage was
not too much due to an iVO composite prop. I was very lucky.