REFLECTOR: Glide Ratio

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 16 08:20:34 CST 2005

Good Morning Dick,

I observed 15 and 16 to 1 in my 173 Elite RG at 90 kts.

It is a fairly easy test to do yourself.

Fly toward an airport.  At 5 miles from the airport, at say 6000' above the airport elevation.  Get established on your glide speed before the 5 miles to the airport.  Pull the throttle to idle and maintain your glide speed.  When you reach the airport, note your altitude (AGL).  Then calculate the ratio between the distance (5 nautical miles or 6076 feet per mile) divided by the total altitude lost. You can repeat going in the other direction to compensate for the wind.

If you want to get brave and pull the mixture to kill the engine, make sure you have enough elevation upon reaching the airport to do a dead stick landing in case you can't get the engine refired.  There is a difference between dead engine and idling, but I didn't try that so I couldn't tell you the difference.

The Velocity's glide ratio is pretty good - very good compared to a RV or spam can.

Ronnie