REFLECTOR: Switches

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Mon Dec 12 22:07:24 CST 2005

Ron-
Common practice is to put the breaker before the load- reason being, if
the load shorts internally or to something else(ground, engine mount,
other wire) the breaker can trip and stop unimpeded current draw (fire)
- so Battery- breaker-switch-device... I suppose you could switch after
the load, but say your breaker malfunctions in hypothetical situation
previously mentioned, you can still stop the short with the switch
without having to turn your master off permanently (you should turn
master off first if you smell electrical fire, then turn off all
switches, then master on, then power up one device at a time- assuming
you can not get down with the master off)

Alex