REFLECTOR: Limitations to the limitations

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Dec 12 16:56:49 CST 2005

> squared.  TAS is what your airplane feels and responds to.  200 IAS at
>
> 5000 and 200 IAS at 200 are not the same real speeds.

Thats not completely true. The airplane will stall at the same IAS no
matter what the altitude, thus it responds to indicated airspeed.  Stall
speed has absolutely nothing to do with TAS, doesn't "feel" it at all.

Your Vr is set by IAS, not TAS, they are not even close at my airport.
Just try taking off at Grants in the summer at 75 TAS, practice your
abortive takeoff procedure first, I'll buy the popcorn.

So as any elementary flight instruction manual will tell you,  the plane
flys by IAS.  Of course we both know there are exceptions, but they are
the exception, not the rule.

>   Vne is a TAS
>
> limit not an IAS limit, most days, the higher you go the bigger airspeed
>
> error due to deviation error in RHO from actual back to standard day.

Thats not exactly true either.

Vne is normally established for 3 things.

1.) The amount of Wind load the structure can handle. That is 100% IAS,
TAS doesn't matter.

2.) Gust load, or G loading.  This is also determined by IAS, because
the plane feels IAS, not TAS.  TAS don't matter.

3.) Flutter.  This can be effected by a combination of IAS, TAS,
structural materials, rigging etc...  TAS should be taken into
consideration but it certainly isn't the final word on it.

Scott