REFLECTOR: Vne (was 'interesting read')

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Dec 11 12:12:16 CST 2005

Al,
As the article discussed, if your IAS was 210 at 10K, your TAS, which is
what counts, was likely much higher, depending on temp.  Scott B. said
in an earlier post that the 200kts Vne for the Velocity was based on
flight testing by a test pilot.  I'm not sure how that works?  Was some
flutter encountered above 200kts, or was it just tested to 200kts TAS
and no flutter could be induced despite wacks and other upsets?  If
that's the case, then that doesn't say anything about 201, 220, 250 or
300?

Structurally, it would seem that the Velo has it all over the RV given
their respective +/-G ratings.  Flutter, though is markedly different.
I've not heard remarked of an incidence of flutter in the ailerons in a
Velo, though if the toe-in of the winglets is reduced too far, the
rudders will 'flap in the wind', as a couple have reported.  Maybe Scott
will weigh in with additional info.

Chuck Jensen