REFLECTOR: Cleaveland brakes

Steve Davey sadsxlrg5 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 12:36:48 CST 2005

Hi all:

  I'm a long time listener, first time caller.  I have an XLRG-5 and am in the process of mounting the axle, torque plate, calipers, etc. on the co-pilot side.  The builder manual says that the calipers should down and aft of the axle centerline.  The associated picture in the manual shows it about at 07:30.  When I laid out the hole pattern for the axle, I measured up 3" from the bottom of the gear, scribed a line up the center of the gear leg.  This is still in the bottom "vertical" section of the leg, not the angled segment. This resulted in an essentially vertical and horizontal orientation.  When the torque plate was slid over the axle and onto the bolts, it left the caliper mounting holes straight aft of the axle or about 09:00.

  What experiences have you guys had? Is this orientation acceptable?

  Thanks

  Steve Davey
  XLRG-5
  Beatrice NE.