REFLECTOR: Running TOO Cool

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 12:22:03 CST 2005

Ron,
Similar problem here except I have two oil coolers... one up front like yours, one in engine compartment. And too much cold air coming in thru nose gear doors and canard.
I blocked off the rear cooler exit with duct tape and cardboard (it is fed from the pilot-side top NACA and exits into the upper cowling region (outside of the pressure shroud)).  That helped a little.  I also partially blocked off the NACA inlet to the front cooler with a rag.  This also helped a little but oil temp still around 160 to 170F.  I flew home from Austin last week with OAT around 3C and about froze my ass... I was not dressed for it and the cabin would just not warm-up.  Sun thru the canopy sure helps tho...

Sid