REFLECTOR: 165 kt Gear Extension Speed

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 22:05:47 CST 2005

I removed my main gear doors a number of months ago.  I didn't do it for
faster gear extension but to lesson the problem I had with fish tailing
during low speeds.  I found that the doors surface area is close to or more
then the rudders.  My doors were not symmetrical in any way.  So with the
gear lowered and slow speeds it effected the yaw so much that in a cross
wind it made the plane very  busy during landing.  The difference was a
major improvement on the very next landing.  So even if I loose a couple of
knots on the top end, I can live with it.  I'm not sure that even putting
the lower end on would help much.  In fact it may degrade it some.
I use aluminum brake lines and they are very ridged on the gear and not
concerned with them.  Have them floxed to the back side.  I think the carbon
buildups on the doors would help a lot for the nose.
The method of using both rudders has been my best for fast descent.  I used
it a lot during the Long EZ days and got into a habit with doing it.  That
is the main reason for not going to the new brake and rudder system for me.
But I can change, I may still change it out some day.
Dave