REFLECTOR: Southwest Regional Fly-In

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 15:24:12 CST 2005

Since there is a lot of discussion regarding the possibility of having a
Velocity get-together at the Southwest Regional Fly-In - I thought it would
be a good idea to offer a PIREP of my visit to Hondo earlier this year.

The Event itself is a diamond in the rough.  The Hondo Airport has lots of
runways - all of them long, and each supported by taxiways.  There is no
problem whatsoever with getting volumes of traffic in and out.  The ramp
space is huge - lots of room for parking.  The SWRFI is about the same size
as the Golden West Fly In - It has two large hangars that are placed into
service for the indoor vendors.  The outdoor vendors are well spaced (better
than Denver, better than Marysville).  Even though this is a multi-day
event, you can easily see "all there is to see" in one day.  The SWRFI
people _really_ appreciate people visiting.  They are quick to welcome folks
and will really go out of their way to offer any assistance that you might
require.  Hondo Airport is a former military training base - and the airport
area and surrounding grounds is large and well cared for.  Tent camping and
RV camping looks well organized - and the grounds are very close to the
flight line.
All of this being said, Hondo - located about 30-miles outside of San
Antonio - is a small town with very few restaurants or hotels.  My
suggestion is to rent a car and stay in San Antonio.  The roads are 4-lane
and do not have much traffic.  The SWRFI people had a national rental car
company support the program - however the rental car people were slow to
organize and bring out quantities of cars for the event.   Typical of these
events, on Sunday the airport was a ghost town.  Most of the visiting
aircraft left Saturday afternoon - I think I counted 20-aircraft on the
ramp!

Scott B.