REFLECTOR: engine driven fuel pump (history lesson)

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 11:41:59 CDT 2005

I'm sure that you've all heard of Glen Curtis and the Curtis Aircraft Co.
Glen started out making bicycles and advanced to motorcycles which used
Schebler carburetors. Curtis Motorcycle bought Schebler and made it a
division.  When Glen got into the airplane business he sold the motorcycle
business and it was renamed Marvel Motorcycle Co.  The Marvel Schebler carb
was jointly developed by Curtis Aircraft and the Marvel Schrebler Carburetor
Division for use in Curtis aircraft.  It was never hung on a tractor.  The
reason it hasn't changed in all these years is because it ain't broke.

The pump is a lever operated diaphragm pump whose pressure is determined by
the force of a spring pushing on the diaphragm therefore the pressure is
self limiting and no other internal or external regulation is needed.  The
difference between the carburetor (5-6psi) and the fuel injected (25-30psi)
is the stiffness of the spring.
By the way a wobble pump is a hand operated fuel pump generally used for
fuel transfer.

Larry Coen