REFLECTOR: engine driven fuel pump

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 26 09:19:51 CDT 2005

G'morning Kent,

The engine driven fuel pump is a diaphragm pump just like on older cars.  There is an eccentric cam in the gear train that actuates a lever arm in the pump.  This lever arm actuates a diaphragm.  Check valves on the inlet and outlet of the pump makes it all work.  There is no pressure regulator.  The faster the engine turn the faster the diaphragm moves pumping the needed fuel.  The rubber diaphragm won't supply but so much pressure - about 25-30 pounds in the case of a Lycoming.  In the older cars it was only about 5 psi - like the Franklins and carbureted Lycomings.

Ronnie