REFLECTOR: POWER GUARD

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Aug 25 00:52:09 CDT 2005

If you want max redundancy, it's best to be able to separate the
batteries.  Tying them together doubles your risk of failure for a
single battery shorting its plates.  Of course this rarely happens, and
it's all statistics.

Assume a battery shorts itself on average once every 100 hours.  Yes,
this would be a terrible battery, but the math is easy.  That's .01
chance per hour.

Tie the two batteries together, and that's .01 + .01 => .02, or an
average failure rate of once every 50 hours.  This is the power failure
rate your electronic ignition will see.

Keep them separate, or have the ability to separate them, then the odds
are much better.  They would both have to fail simultaneously, which is
.01 * .01 => .0001, or once every 10,000 hours.  Your electronic
ignition system will probably be replaced with some newer gizmo within
10,000 hours.

Of course, statistically, this could happen on the first flight.

Also remember that you still have the 50 hour failure rate on the
batteries.  The difference is that they both have to fail simultaneously
  for a total failure.  Adding more batteries, extra alternators all
adds up to increased frequency of parts replacement.  They all have a
mean time to failure.  If they are added to increase redundancy that's
good, but the maintenance does not go down, it goes up.  Add a third 100
hour battery, and you'll be replacing a battery every 33 hours.