REFLECTOR: Question on CCI Vortex Generators

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed Aug 24 07:55:02 CDT 2005

            Hi, Jim,

            I've used the plastic ones from Velocity that are dirt
cheap.  I don't remember what they cost, but a bag of dirt costs about
the same.   They are a little hard to paint, as all such poly plastics
are and they are a little hard to make stick in place, though it helps
to roughen the underside with medium sand paper before applying with Dow
silicon silastic.  I use a cuticle stick for removing the excess
silastic that squeezes out after the 'buttered' VG is pressed onto the
wing.  Velocity will send you a paper template to guide you in
placement.

            A little trick that I did that makes a big difference is I
took a sander and rounded off the back corner of the 'sail'.  Most
designs come out to a sharp point which is excellent for snagging your
rag when you wipe the plane down.  The snagged rag will often pull the
VG off.  Adhering them to the wing isn't a big deal, but you get tired
of doing it multiple times.  As best I can tell, rounding off the tail
of the sail doesn't have a noticeable effect on performance.  I wouldn't
fly without 'em.

Chuck