REFLECTOR: radio problems

TimRhod at aol.com TimRhod at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 08:53:11 CDT 2005

Fellow builders:
I am building a Velocity XLRG.  I wonder if you could make some suggestions
to help me to trouble shoot a radio problem Im having. I have  Garmin CNX-80
and SL-30 radios.   I am able to transmit fine but both radios will only
recieve if you are within several hundred feet. Beyond that no reception.  I have
dipole  antennas,  nav and comm in each wing that were prebuilt so I have no
acess to the antennas Each wing has one comm and one nav antenna.  Each radio is
connected to a different antenna,  right and left wing.  Im not sure which
antenna is the nav and which is the comm but I tried both , one working better
than the other but neither one beyond a few hundred feet. From the RG-58 cable
comming from the wing I have a connection in the strake to RG-400 cable that
runs to the radio with one more connection about a foot behind the radio from a
prewired radio stack. I would appreciate any input you could suggest.
Thanks Tim