REFLECTOR: Smooth Prime

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sat Aug 13 23:05:31 CDT 2005

In all fairness to Polyfiber, they never claimed that SmoothPrime was a
suitable primer for Imron.  Their current recommendation is to use the
SmoothPrime as a thin filler, to eliminate pinholes.  A primer compatible
with the topcoat to be applied must then be used.  As I recall, they suggest
an epoxy primer and a polyurethane topcoat system.

I have my plane mostly primed with SmoothPrime, and I plan to continue using
it during the building process.  I'm using it mostly to prevent UV damage to
the cured epoxy during my slow building process.  I am working in hot, dry
inland California, so I don't expect a significant problem with the
water-borne primer.  The cases of bad results I have heard about seemed to
involve some question whether the primer had thoroughly dried before being
top-coated.  In a humid climate it may never dry totally.

Keith Hallsten