REFLECTOR: Engine Oils?

Brainard, Jerry Jerry.Brainard at anthem.com
Wed Aug 10 10:22:26 CDT 2005

Well, at Oshkosh, Shell had a display that discussed Exxon Elite and
the tests they used to document their superior performance.  I
thought that Shell actually did a very good job of sticking to
factual information.  Of course they had an axe to grind, but they
did it with data.  Was it more valid than Exxon?  Not an expert so I
can't say.  Did it convince me that you have to understand what the
oil is supposed to do in real operation before you can understand
whether a test provides valid data?  Yes.

I don't have the experience in the industry to say whether Exxon
Elite is better than anything else.  Here's a lab that has done
analysis of data on this subject

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about_aircraft_oils.html

-jerry