REFLECTOR: V-8 at Oskosh

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Mon Aug 8 23:15:40 CDT 2005

Wow!  ...now that IS impressive Andy. Kurt was kind enough to send me (off
list) a picture of the performance specs that Bill had up on display.

I'm still a long way off needing an engine but this fits my bill so far -
simply adore the sound of a thundering V8 in anything - but especially an
aircraft like the Velocity. Now that I know he has a big block in a 173 then
I would think this opens the strong possibility of going with an aluminium
small block in a Std. Velocity. Oh sheesh I wish I was at the coming
Velocity open house!!! (anybody going with a video camera??)

I believe we now have the higher output aluminium small block fuel injected
engine in our high performance GM coupes (known as a Holden Monaros) here in
Australia and I'm thinking that using a stock high performance engine -
something off the shelf (well .out of a wreck) might be the easiest way to
go in terms of avoiding the expense and complexities of souping up an
engine.

The big block weight relative to the 173 (or XL) wing would likely equate to
the small block to the std wing would it not? ..and my CG should be an
easier accomplishment over Bill's given the same size fuselage?  Interested
in knocking this one around on the list if anybody is interested.  Bill
increased his stated gross weight to 2900lbs to maintain his useful load at
1100lbs, quotes a Vx climb (solo) of 3,950fpm!!! (awesome!) and a fuel burn
of 43 litres per hour (13 US gallons/hr) @ 8,500ft and 210kts cruise!

Now these are figures that I really can relate to!  ...now c'mon
guys...burst my bubble! ...I want to hear the downsides.

Greg in Sydney.