REFLECTOR: blue masking tape on plexiglass

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 00:11:06 CDT 2005

This thread turned up some interesting stuff.  Now we know we can Old
English furniture polish or vinegar to remove adhesive.  I have found the
"Goof Off" works very well at removing the adhesive from just about
anything; but don't know if it would have long term effects on the plexi.  I
had used it years ago when I installed the windows, and it has not had any
adverse effects.

In any case; I removed the blue masking tape from the windshield today after
being on for about a week, and it came off nice and clean.  The rear windows
will be on for at least another week and we'll see how that works.

Also interesting to know that Brasso works to polish out small scratches.  I
got a product called Novus from the local plastics supply store which comes
in a 3 step process; Novus 1 - Clean and shine, Novus 2 - Restore and
Refinish, Fine Scratch Remover, and Novus 3 - Repair, for removing heavy
scratches and abrasions.  It works well. I used it after 1000, 1500 and 2000
grit paper for removing some epoxy and there is nary a trace of any damage.
Polished out some other small scratches using the 2 & 1 and it looks like
new.

I'll have to try the vinegar for adhesive removal; because I don't like it
salad dressing.

Al