REFLECTOR: EGT Temps

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 09:50:27 CDT 2005

Alright, all this is starting to get a little silly....
The originating thread was from John Dibble asking about a Franklin engine in an airplane.
Not an automotive system.  Not the yet-to-be-finished GAMI system.  Not an experimental, one-of-a kind system.
Yes, my Jeff Rose EI senses MP.  So what?  This is not what I was speaking of when I objected to Scott Derrick's post.

So, staying on subject....
I (still) find  ( Scott's) statement incomprehensible. (copied here for reference):

> With some EI's you can
> run LOP with stock injectors because the EI can advance or retard
> to provide the best burn for that RPM and power setting.
>
 > Scott

Certainly the EI can "advance or retard" but by it's self, has no capability to "provide the best burn for that RPM and power setting".

1) the EI knows nothing about mixture.
    Yes, it senses MP.  MP knows nothing about where you have the Red Knob set.
2) the EI knows nothing about "best burn".
    The EI is doing neither exhaust gas analysis nor "ionic cylinder pressure sensing" and
    has no clue how well (or poorly) the mixture is burning.
3) the EI cannot modify cylinder timing on an individual basis.
    The EI, after using the inputs available to it (rpm, MP, temperature(?)), fires all of the cylinders with the "calculated" timing advance.

Sid Knox