REFLECTOR: EGT Temps

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Apr 29 08:00:59 CDT 2005

Sid,

There is a specific time to light off the spark that is optimal for
"best burn" depending on MAP and RPM.  Thats what an EI "can" do.  So in
that sense it does know about "best burn".

That timing sweet spot will generally provide us with a "best burn"
whether your rich or lean.  The reason why an EI  allows you to run LOP
when a mag will not, is you are burning all(or most) of the fuel in the
lean cylinder where as with a MAG a good portion of it is burning on the
way out the tail pipe.  This premature loss of efficiency in the leanest
cylinders when the rich ones are lagging behind is what causes the
engine to run rough when you try to lean past peak to 50-75 LOP.

I didn't say the EI knew about mixture, though automobile EI's do and
use that data to provide an even more thorough burn.

I didn't say it provided individual timing for each cylinder, though
some automobile EI's do.

Sensing the mixture, or more correctly sensing the efficiency of the
fuel burn is one of the next steps for aircraft EI's, I don't know if
GAMI's EI does that or not.

Scott