REFLECTOR: Major Outline

Terrence Miles knightflyr at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 29 07:26:06 CDT 2005

Hey ya'll,

I know this is not directly to the topic CHT issues at hand, but I have
an engine cooling problem to toss on the table.  I am trying to refine
an engine order for an IO540k w/ Lasar ign turning an aerocomposite CS 3
blade prop.  I'll have the top cut naca scoops in this XL and not the
armpit cooling.  Here's my question:  Is there a best place to locate
the spider valve (SV) (fuel distrib)?  Concern would be trying to
restart a hot engine on the ramp.  My concern is vapor lock.  If I put
the SV on top of the engine it's hot up there, but the naca can then
work backwards.  I have seen heat air ripples coming off of them just
after shutdown.    If I locate it on the bottom face of the engine there
is less hot air rising but maybe lesser ventilation?  Anybody have any
experience with this?  I am favoring the top mount.

New 2nd question which is related:  I am trying to give D. George a
final buildup profile.  Here my take on ignition.  The emag/pmag folks
only make a 4 cyl version of their stuff.  Jeff Rose is selling the biz,
so I counted him out.  That left light speed and Lasar it seems to me.
The lasars will revert to basic self generation for spark on loss of
electrical.  The lightspeeds do not.  I am choosing Lasar.  Whadaya
think?  In fact I already have a lasar timing box I got 2nd hand.

New 3rd Question:
Likely I will do the Nuckols Z-14:
Dual batts.  I weigh 150 lbs and will fly solo a lot, so the dual batts
are as much a CG fixer.
Dual alts:  Less sure on this need.  But if done, 20amps vs 8amps on the
pad and 60 amps or so belt-driven
Bus structure:  Work in progress.
Panel:  GRT with one AHRS and 3 screens.  Back up attitude w/ TruTrak.
Back up ias/altitude w/ GRT EIS which will be panel mounted.

And now for a bit of humor from the new guy on the block.I hope to be in
the air by Christmas.  Thank you all very very much for the warm welcome
and the brain drain I will be (have already been) for these 1st months.
Anybody drifting through Greenville, SC, the front light is always on,
and I just bought a new coffee pot.

Thanks,
Terry
XL RG-5