REFLECTOR: Engine compartment oil cooler

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 28 08:42:57 CDT 2005

> Turned out to be
> the vermilium(sp?) valve..

"In Lycoming engines, oil passing through the oil temperature control cavity goes either through the oil cooler or the crankcase passages. Which way it goes depends on the oil's temperature. It also depends on the condition of the vernatherm. If the vernatherm leaks, oil bypasses the cooler.
Not all Lycomings have vernatherms. On those that do have them, the vernatherm's location on the engine varies. Engines with both an oil filter and a vernatherm usually have both of them together, with the vernatherm mounted on the filter adapter."

look here for the full story:
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182617-1.html

Sid Knox