REFLECTOR: Alternator Field

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 23:57:40 CDT 2005

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Alternator Field

14.2 volts should be fine - the over-voltage trips on high voltage - not

current.

I'd guess that the circuit breaker is a bit too small (and from your

symptoms, it sounds like it is on the ragged edge).  The gear pump cycling

on is probably causing a voltage down spike which is causing a field current

up spike and tripping your 2 amp breaker every once in a while.  If you are

not replacing the wire, I'd go with a 3 amp breaker.. If you are going to

replace the wire with 20 gauge, I'd take it on up to 5 amps.

FWIW; A #22 is rated to 5 amps.

Al

I have a 65 amp Lycoming alternator and a VR-600 solid state regulator on a

5 amp breaker.  Never has tripped.  I bought the parts to build Bob

Nuckolls' over voltage protection system but never installed it.

Ronnie