REFLECTOR: Engine failure

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 03:18:02 CDT 2005

Dave,

I have the same setup in my 4.3L Chevy. I am working on a crank trigger setup with MSD, need to see if they have one for the odd fire that will fit in my installation. I will leave the stacked reluctor wheels and pickups in there just for backup. Do you have the same setup?

I was wondering, did you have the stock gear on the distributor? There is an old practice (contraversial too) of putting a softer brass gear on the distributor on high performance engines. The idea is that it stops galling on the gears (like the old oil pump fiasco on lycomings). The problem is, it is also a much softer gear and can strip as yours did.  I put a Moroso gear on my system, supposed to be strong, but not gall the cam/dizzy setup.

Kurt