REFLECTOR: Engine compartment oil cooler

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 10:56:23 CDT 2005

I have a theory about air cooling.  Of course I could be wrong.

I think that having maximum vacuum in the cowling is the optimum solution.

Plug all of the leaks in the plenum such that all of the air entering your

intake scoops goes through the cylinders, and is "sucked" into the cowling.

It would therefore (assuming my first sentence is correct) seem reasonable

that any additional "leak" in the form of extra air routed through scat

tubes to cool the oil pan, oil filter, second oil cooler, or alternator all

results in higher pressure in the cowl, which results in less cooling of the

cylinders.

In my opinion, if you have to have secondary cooling in the cowling, provide

appropriate exhaust for this air.

Nothing wrong with your theory, Brian; but the devil is in the details.  If
the cowl is exit restricted; or in good flow balance, adding additional
inlet would likely be detrimental.  If it is inlet restricted, adding more
inlet will provide more flow and more overall heat removal; and perhaps no
additional cooling drag.  As the speed of the craft will support a certain
maximum negative pressure in the cowl, the overall drag will depend on the
flow path through the cowl and the inlet/outlet area ratio.

FWIW,

Al