REFLECTOR: Engine compartment oil cooler

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 23 09:11:30 CDT 2005

If I'm not mistaken, most canards have way excessive cowl exit area as
it is.  This results in turbulence behind the cowl exit that "tries" to
form an underpressure, but only results in increased cooling drag.
There are guidelines around the ratio of exit area to inlet area that
should be followed.  The obvious first step is to seal all the leaks,
which should solve installation problems.  Design defects are another
matter - my own primary oil cooler flow that exits into the high
pressure plenum being a prime example.

Trying to "suck" air through can have adverse consequences ... Jim S.