REFLECTOR: Engine compartment oil cooler

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 18:12:28 CDT 2005

Richard,

The factory sells an aluminum plenum for the standard
oil cooler that bolts to the firewall. It comes w/ a
flange for SCAT. I pressurized mine by pulling from
the the co-pilot's runner. It exhaust into the engine
compartment (low pressure side). I'm pulling my
induction air from the pilot's runner. There's no
extra  external scoops and only the standard rear cowl
openings. Oil temps are staying at or below 200* at
max power climb & 185* at 75% power cruse. CHTs are
under 400* during max power climb & around 365* at 75%
power cruise. Here are some links to pics:

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?display=subsystems%2Fair_cooling%2FDsc00133.jpg

http://www.velocityaircraft.com/photos/Engine/Lycoming%20IO540/pages/REAR-OIL-COOLER.html

Pat