REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak

Robin Ream robinream at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 18 11:53:44 CDT 2005

    Regarding Steve's observation about up and down end play in the crank:

When you try to feel for side to side movement you're working against all
the "muscle" of the engine (pistons, rods, etc.) and it's almost impossible
to detect play.  When you check up and down play (opposite the direction of
friction) you are often able to feel a little "click, click" if the play is
excessive.  That wouldn't necessarily mean you're out of specs unless you
mic the play though.  Air cooled engines get HOT so there must be enough
slack to allow for heat expansion or you'd freeze up and spin bearings.

    Another thought is the extent of the leak:

Is this just seepage, or a full blown leak?  Depending upon an engines
design, you may not ever be able to stop seepage.  Think about the attitude
the engine finds itself in during normal operation.  Sometimes it's
horizontal, sometimes nose up, sometimes nose down, and a million other
combinations as you fly around.  This can leave a fair amount of oil
"puddled" at the seals, so it's not any surprise that a little seepage will
occur.  On the other hand, if you're adding oil every time you land, that's
a leak :-)  Leaks you fix during maintenance.  Seepage, well that's like a
bad hair day.  --  It just happens, and it will happen every time you yell
"clear!"

Robin