REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Apr 18 11:00:52 CDT 2005

Thanks Steve.  That's an interesting point about oil temp.  Mine normally run 92-98 C
(198-208F).  When I replaced the seal there was a lot of dark brown deposit on the
shaft and I wonder if this abraded the seal and made it start leaking.  I assume the
deposit came from degradation of the oil, perhaps due to a high temp.  What are your
oil temps (before and now)?
When I bought my Velocity it had 205 hours and the seal was not leaking.  I flew it for
about 100 hours before the seal began leaking.  I wonder if one's operating habits
(MAP, rpm, and amount of leaning) have any impact.
Do you balance the prop?