REFLECTOR: Franklin seal leak

Steve steve_beilby at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 18 06:31:39 CDT 2005

My Franklin has only 65 hrs on it. I have already replaced the
crankshaft seal due to it leaking oil. It still leaked with a new seal.
I have also been working on getting my oil temp down  ... with some
success. Since the oil temps came down, the oil leaking from the
crankshaft seal stopped leaking., so maybe its a temperature related
thing ??

Pure coincidence, I happened to check for any play in the crankshaft
last week and was surprised to find a little play up and down but none
from side to side. I am still pondering this when up pops your e-mail.
Sounds like you have some experience or knowledge of this.

I would appreciate hearing what you know. Is this a known Franklin issue
? How much of a concern (if any) does it represent ?

Steve