REFLECTOR: Avionics wiring - SL-30 to GMA 340

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 08:52:21 CDT 2005

Al,

  After completing the Tax Headache, I reread your post on wiring.

I take it you are getting 100 Ohm when reading resistance from pin 7 to pin
13 thru the SL30.

Since you are measuring thru the unit, you really don't know what you are
measuring. Keep in mind that when you "KEY UP" you are tripping a circut that
temporarily blanks out the receiver (else you get some wicked feedback). The old
radios used to do this with a mechanical relay, the new ones with a
transistor. So, once you key up ( with power on)  the readings will likely change.

I did what it seems you did:  Match up the pin connections so that you get
them right. It is very common to JUMP across grounds in the back of a "D"
connector, since NOT doing so would add a LOT of wire.

Some additional input I can add is : sometimes they wire the transmit key
directly to the mic ground. YOu don't want that because it will require the use
of one of those ugly aftermarket mike key switches.

I ended up (after double checking with the manufacturer) running my mik-key
thru my stick grip PTT, then to ground. Leaving the connection from mik-to-mik
ground open. That way, the PTT works.

That is what I remember off the top of my head. If you like I can go out and
check the actual connections on the back of the "D" connectors. My panel is on
the bench while I finish up installing ship's power and the tru track auto
pilot.

Hope it helps.    Kurt